Saturday 16 June 2007

Rain stopped play, but still managed a bit of gardening

I donned my wellies and gloves and managed to plant the three new miniature roses I got on Wednesday. When I was on the garden trail last weekend, a couple of gardens were selling small plants on the sales table and I got three blue geraniums, a rudbekia plant, a cistus rose, a penstemmon and a couple of other small plants. All of them are now planted in the very wet border, but at least I didn't have to water them in! My garden is looking very, very wet, all of the flowers are drooping as they are so heavy with rain and I can hardly see my pinks because the flowers have bent over so much. I must invest in some good plant supports. I'm sure the slugs are having a huge slugfest and the hostas are looking very ragged, more hole than leaf! After a reasonably dry period, the very heavy rain started again at tea-time. I'm hoping for better light and a bit of dry weather on Sunday so I can take some more photographs. We were more fortunate here in the North East of England than other places in the UK who suffered flooding, closed roads and waterlogged houses. Hubby had tickets for the first two days of the test match at Durham (England v W Indies) but had to return home yesterday as the match was cancelled due to the heavy rain and waterlogged pitch. To-day saw a drier day and after a lot of hard work by the ground staff at Chester le Street ground, play began after lunch and he was able to enjoy the cricket until bad light and rain stopped play at tea time. He hasn't got a ticket for tomorrow, so will have to watch the match on television.

3 comments:

The Crafts House said...

I felt really sad when I read Kims blog..our kids are very special to us, no matter how old they get we still worry...
Thought you might like to know that some of the teenagers from our art classes have won at the Northumbria in Bloom art competition, I'm really chuffed.

Ali said...

Hi Mary,

Sorry about all the rain! We had the deluge here in April, when our basement flooded and we were considering boat construction.

I'm lucky, and have a 10 month contract at a nearby college, so I'm off from mid-June to mid-August, and have many vacation days in addition. Dan is a teacher and will be done for the summer next week, school begins again the last week of August.

Perhaps someday well travel to North East England in the summer to see your lovely garden!

Ali

ps, what a lovely cake! I'm not a good cake decorator, but I love to bake them :-)

jaki said...

Oh Mary, you sound so waterlogged!!
I was talking to our Nan last night (she lives in Kent) and she was saying about the bad flooding and damage up north, I am glad it didn't affect you.
I hope the rain lets up soon and allows your garden to recover a little.