Sunday 4 November 2007

The garden in November .....


The big cherry tree in the front garden is looking stunning in autumn colours, but one more gust of wind and I'll be picking up piles of leaves again. My compost bin is full to the top already. We've had a fairly busy week in the garden, pruning the smaller cherry tree in the middle of the front lawn as it was getting too leggy. We also tidied the tall Leylandi hedge in the back garden. No time to garden today, but I did buy some more pansies which I will plant later in the week. I'll also try to do some more tidying up which will probably be the last chance before winter sets in. The clocks went back a week ago and I just can't get used to the fact that it's dark at 5.00pm !! Here are the trees over my left hand hedge - very pretty, but not many leaves left.

I've still got lots of colour in the back garden from roses, red geraniums, purple pansies, berries and the fading heads of my huge pink hydrangea bush. Even the spring wallflowers and some of the primroses have started to flower! It's been fairly mild and dry for the time of year, but weather forecast is for much, much cooler weather in the week ahead. Next weekend we're off to the NEC in Birmingham for the craft exhibition. We're also collecting a new cutting machine which Andrea pre-ordered - I believe it weighs in excess of 10kgs so we'll have fun carrying that back to the car, along with the huge pile of stuff she usually buys!!Andrea bought this adorable snowman - he's supposed to be a Christmas decoration, but he's so big, he's standing in the sitting room - I wonder how long he's going to be there ????

2 comments:

Whyite said...

Love your snowman. We expecting a freeze tonight. I better go a get the last of the tomatos and peppers.

jaki said...

Sounds like the garden will be keeping you busy again Mary.
I love the colour of autumn, we don't really see it here though :(

Have fun at the craft show :)