Saturday 21 July 2007

Should we build an ark ?


Should we build an ark? Who would believe this is SUMMER, the schools have broken up for their 6 week holiday and the central heating is back on. As I write this all I can hear is the torrential rain which continues to flood the UK with many parts under water and more expected as 16 rivers are under a 'Severe Flood Warning'. Thousands of motorists are still stranded on motorways in the south of England and even central London, Berkshire, Warwickshire, The Cotswolds and many other places suffered flash floods. My plants are taking a battering and my beautiful pink hydrangea has almost collapsed under the weight of all those huge flowers dripping with water. I took a picture of some flower heads (above) during a dry spell yesterday and show below the gap and broken branches in the centre of the bush - it's much worse this morning, the flowers are hanging down to ground level but it's too wet to photograph - I fear it will be completely ruined by the time I return from holiday. The peach lilly is looking lovely, but won't last long in this weather. Look at the sunflower plants in my pot of busy lizzies - the birds must have dropped the seeds in, because I didn't plant them. This is my last post until I return from a warm and very sunny holiday - I'll be very disappointed if it's as wet as the UK!

4 comments:

jaki said...

My goodness, I can't believe the weather I am seeing on the news :(
I hope your place is safe while you are away and I hope that you are getting lots of hot sunny weather where you are holidaying!!
Can't wait to hear about it all when you return :)

Whyite said...

I am hoping you all dry out real soon.

Unknown said...

So Mary. Since you're treading water with your gardening (so to speak), I have a request. Tell us your secret for beautiful edges. I'm going after the first of my flower beds and I'd love to have edges that are crisp and clean like yours. Where do I start?

x Sue said...

Hi Mary
You'll be glad to here that it's absolutely chucking it down here too! Yesterday was lovely though - but today - very heavy and storms predicted etc. Can't believe it's still so bad in the UK. Saw that Oxford was flooded too!
Enjoy your holidays.

x Sue