Saturday 26 May 2007

My garden in May

This is my first attempt at blogging and I will attempt to show different aspects of my small garden as the months pass. It will be interesting for me to compare this year to next, and so on. I have just dug a new border near the patio for my collection of patio roses which have been in pots. My garden slopes (both ways) and is surrounded by a high conifer hedge.


The coniferr patch in the lawn is filled with plants I received for my 35th wedding anniversay last year. I know they'll eventually grow too big, but I don't think I'll be around to worry about that when they do! Here are some photos of different areas of my garden taken yesterday. The Spring flowers are fading now but everything else is coming on really well, especially with the mild winter. The Nicotiana plant which is almost flowering, is a bedding plant from seed grown in 2006 - it has overwintered fine, with flowers, and I wish I hadn't pulled the rest out last Autumn when they were looking the worse for wear! The fuschias flowers are about to open. I put the pots between the shed and the greenhouse over the winter and they've survived!



I love watching the birds and feed them most daysbut on Wednesday a hawk dived into the tall conifer, grabbed a sparrow and that was the end of him ...... only feathers left on the lawn!



3 comments:

Andrea said...

Well done on your first blog post. Your blog and your garden look lovely!

The Crafts House said...

Your garden is beautiful!Wish mine was as neat!!

Ali said...

Mary, your garden is lovely! I hope someday mine will look as good, in the meantime, I'll come back to see yours often.

I love the combination of the (I think) Japanese maple and the silvery conifer behind it. What varieties are they? Dan and I are talking about where a Japanese maple would work as we build our garden.